Saturday 22 November 2014

Hognuts, Coconut Cashew Butter Review

I thought I would do another review post. This one is for nut butter.
 
 
I found this product on 'The protein pick 'n' mix'. The brand 'Hognuts' has a wide range of different nut butters, but this one was the only one that didn't contain soy, xylitol or agave. Three things I try to miss out in the products I use. Though quest bars of course are to good to be picky over.
 
I did have a bit of back and forth with the customer service of 'Protein pick 'n' mix' after receiving my order as I was alarmed by the blotchy marks on the surface, afraid it was mould. Since the label was missing a production and best before date I was very wary of consuming it.
 
A very polite man e-mailed me back to reassure me that the brands nut butters can keep for months, and that the company regularly forgets to date their products, an issue that's been brought up on many an occasion. The blemishes were in fact just the hardened coconut fat, seeing as the percentage of coconut to cashew was higher I accepted the reasoning behind the marks. I was instructed to kept the butter in a warmer space and as it was set hard, warm it up before use.

Review:

Price: 5 pounds, fifty. My pound sign isn't working. When I got my order I wasn't completely happy with the amount I got for the price. But let it go because it had good reviews. As stated above the tub was missing a production and best before date, a fact I found quite unprofessional.
 
Texture: 3/10 Crumbly and hard to begin with I heated the butter on 10 second blasts in the microwave till it came together. The resulting butter was quite gritty, their were big chunks of cashew throughout.
 
Flavour: 4/10 Very strong on the coconut, but the cashew taste does come through.
 
Nutritional facts: 2/10 This but was made from just cashews and coconuts, resulting in a very high calorie and I would assume high fat nut butter. The portion shown above and below in my little bowl is 200 calories worth. I was shocked and disappointed by just how little I got for such a high amount.
 
Overall: 2/10 I was not impressed by this butter, and won't be purchasing it again, nor am I sure I'll be eating the rest of my tub.
 
Buy again/recommend: No.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment