Wednesday 4 March 2015

Hummingbird Cake Oatcakes

 

 So I made The Oatmeal Artist's Hummingbird Batter Stove Top Oatmeal a week ago, and it reminded how much I love the combination. Banana, Pineapple, Pecans and Cinnamon. As Lauren says. Its perfection.
 

 Wanting to make it in another form I went for oatcakes. Sure I'd seen another version somewhere else, but forgetting where.


It had been ages, or at least it felt like AGES, since I had last made oatcakes and God did I have a craving.
 

 I swear since starting my new diet I have eaten more pancakes (Oatcakes) and ice cream (Banana ice cream) than when I was just eating junk. And they say eating clean is boring?


 To be honest, I love banana ice cream WAY more than regular ice cream now. It's creamy, easy to make and flavour, plus I don't feel terrible after I eat it. Dairy and my stomach are not great friends.

 
The cream cheese frosting sauce is completely optional, of course you could use vegan cream cheese if you diet eliminates all dairy or you could sub yogurt or cashew/coconut cream.

 Hummingbird Cake Oatcakes

Ingredients:

1/2 Cup/45g Rolled Oats
Pinch of Salt
1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
1 Ripe Banana
1/2 Tsp Vanilla
1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
1/4 Cup/60ml Milk of Choice
Handful of Pecans
 
Layers:
1 Banana
Handful of Pecans
Pineapple, finely chopped/crushed or pureed
Dash of Cinnamon


Cream Cheese Sauce:
2 TBSP Cream Cheese
1-2 TBSP Milk of Choice
1 Tsp Maple Syrup or Sweetener of Choice

Method:

1. Let the milk sit with 1/2 Tsp of pineapple juice for about 10 minutes. Blitz the oats, salt, cinnamon and baking powder to a fine flour. Blend in the banana, vanilla and start with half the milk. Add more till the batter is smooth but thick like paint.
2. Pour into a jug/bowl to help with portioning out. Toast the pecans (350F/180C/Gas Mark 4) for 3-5 minutes, till aromatic but not burnt. Break up and mix into your batter.
3. Heat a pan over a medium heat, spray with cooking oil. When hot, add the batter. Heaped TBSP or 1/4 Cup measurements work best, smooth out into a round. Let cook till bubbles rise to the surface, then flip and cook for a minute or two more. Slide onto a plate and repeat till all batter is used up.
4. Toast the rest of the pecans, slice the banana and prepare your pineapple. Carefully mix the cream cheese with the milk till desired consistency (I went for a thick pourable sauce) and sweeten to taste. Layer up your oatcakes. Enjoy!













No comments:

Post a Comment