Friday 20 February 2015

Chocolate Lebkuchen Baked Oatmeal

The last planned oatmeal I made before Christmas. Another inspired by a classic Christmas cookie. Traditional in Germany anyway. Its a spiced chocolate cookie, topped with chocolate. Though I've never tried a 'real' one, it tasted like Christmas. With its warming spices and sweet melty coating.
 
It was the evening after this breakfast that I got stuck down with...'bloddy bloddy blah-itis'. That's what I heard at the doctors, and that's what I'm sticking with. The simple name for it is 'Swallowing sandpaper with every breath-itis'
 
But I'm better now. The normal recovery rate is two weeks. The doctor gave me one, at my age. This was ONE WEEK before CHRISTMAS. I sure as hell wasn't gonna let it take me down. I beat it in about four days. Then the nosebleeds started. First I had in my life, and it lasted an hour. Horrid. I ended up in A&E for a few hours, IN A ONSIE, and had to get my nose cauterised (Burned with a giant match stick). It was two o'clock in the morning of Christmas Eve-Eve.
 
Except for a few 'of' feelings I was tip top for Christmas Day.
 
I hope you all had a great Christmas/Hanukah/General good day off if you don't celebrate a holiday around Christmas.
 
 

Chocolate Lebkuchen Baked Oatmeal

 

Ingredients:

1/2 Cup/45g Rolled Oats
1/4 Tsp Baking Powder
Pinch of Salt
1 TBSP Cocoa Powder
1-2 Tsp Honey
1/2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
1 TBSP Ground Almonds
1/4 Tsp Lemon and Orange Zest
1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
Pinch Ground Cardamon, Cloves and Nutmeg
1/3 Cup/80ml Milk of Choice
 
Optional: 1 TBSP Flaxseed
 
Milk Chocolate

Method:

1. Preheat the oven to 350F/180C/Gas Mark 4. Grease a ramekin or dish.
2. Mix all the dry oat ingredients, including spice, almonds, cocoa and zest. Add the vanilla and honey, and then add the milk bit by bit till the oats are wet but not sloppy. Adjust the cocoa and honey to taste. Bake for 17-20 minutes till firm.
3. Melt the chocolate and pour over your baked oatmeal. Enjoy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment