Saturday 21 February 2015

Mince Pie Baked Oatmeal

It's the middle of February. And I'm eating a mince pie.
 
This isn't a late Christmas post either, I ate this last week. It will of course go in my index under Christmas specials though.
 
The funny thing is I didn't plan to make this recipe. I don't like mince pies that much, I mean it maybe fruit and spice, but traditional mince pies have suet. Suet. Now this isn't the healthy person in me going all "That's so unhealthy, that's gonna go straight to my hips. Blah..Blah..Blah!" It's the fact that its little bits of animal fat. In spiced fruit.
 
That's just gross.
 
But I saw Deliciously Ella's post on the Waitrose Youtube channel and decided. "I'm gonna make that into oatmeal!" Like I always do when seeing new food.
 

Ingredients:

1/2 Cup/45g Rolled Oats
1/4 Tsp Baking Powder
Pinch of Salt
1 1/2 TBSP Ground Almonds
3 Gooey Medjool Dates, pitted
1/3 Cup/80ml Milk of Choice

Filling:
1 Apple
Handful of Raisans
Handful of Currants or Sultanas
Hanful of Dried Cranberries
Juice of Half and Orange
1-2 Tsp Maple Syrup or Sweetener of choice, adjust to taste
1/4 Tsp Coconut Oil
1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
1/4 Tsp Ginger

Method:

1. Preheat you oven to 350F/180C/Gas Mark 4. Grease a dish or ramekin.
2. Put all the filling ingredient in a saucepan, heat on a medium heat till all the fruit is soft. Add more juice if needed so the pan doesn't boil dry. Taste and adjust spices/sweetener to taste.
3. Blitz 1 1/2 TBSP of oats to a flour, pour into a bowl with the baking powder, salt and almonds and stir. Blend the dates with a 2-3 TBSP of milk till smooth. Add to the oat mix and mix. Add more milk till the oats are wet but not sloppy.
4. Pour your filling into your dish. Top with your oats. Bake for 17-20 minutes till the top is firm and golden. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment