Thursday 19 February 2015

Single Serving Cornbread

This took me ages, and I mean ages to come even close to perfecting this recipe. But I've been obsessed with cornbread since Thanksgiving, so I had to find a way to settle my cravings.
 
 
My next post will be five variations on this recipe to make it even better, and I have tons more in the works.
 
I wanted to convert my beloved full American recipe, but then decided it would be easier to adapt it with the add of other healthier versions. The milk and lemon juice fits in place of buttermilk, though my favourite recipe uses double cream.

Single Serving Cornbread

Ingredients:

40g Polenta/Cornmeal
20g Rolled Oats
1/4 Cup Milk of Choice
1 Tsp Lemon juice
1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
Pinch of Salt
1 TBSP Maple syrup or sweetener of choice
1 TBSP Plain yogurt, I use fatfree Greek
1 TBSP Ghee/Butter/Butter alternative*

*I originally went with coconut oil as my 'fat' because fatless baking can be a fail. But coconut is far from a tasteless oil so it does flavour the cornbread. Try it if you wish but I prefer ghee myself.
 

 Method:

1. Preheat the oven to 350F/180C/Gas Mark 4. Grease a ramekin or dish.
2. Mix the milk and lemon juice and set aside for 10 minutes to curdle. Grind the oats to a flour, with the baking powder. Mix in the polenta/cornmeal and salt.
3. Melt the ghee/butter/oil, let cool for a minute or two, add the sweetener and yogurt. Whip fast to combine then add the dry ingredients. The mix should be quite thick. Pour into your dish and bake for 25-30 minutes or till golden and a toothpick comes out clean. Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment