Sunday 14 September 2014

Lemon, White Chocolate and Blueberry Stove top

You know that post I made about half an hour ago saying I don't have white chocolate THAT often. I may have been fibbing a little. Maybe.


Though in my defense these breakfasts were five days apart. If that makes it any better.


Again. The taste of this oatmeal made me forget all guilt that came from using white chocolate over the infinitely healthier, dark. Mostly because it would have tasted horrid if I had.


When it comes to the lemon oatmeal base I had to make a hard decision on choice of sweetener. I really didn't want to go down the root of mashed banana, because lets face it. It would just taste of banana. So I chose maple syrup. It being my go-to sweetener. But you could try banana if you wish or any other sweetener of choice, one with little flavour being preferable. Adjust the lemony-ness to your preference as well as the amount of sweetener. Personally I love sour/zingy lemon things and so used more juice and zest then others might. You do want some bite to the oats, as the chocolate does help mellow it out. Start small, and add more, tasting with each addition till you come to a level of lemon you like.


Lemon, White Chocolate and Blueberry Oatmeal

The white chocolate actually comes from a 'mousse' made from melted chocolate and greek yogurt whipped up nice and light. This creamy topping mixes perfectly with the zesty oat base. Each lushious spoonful is finished off with a beautiful burst of blueberry, balancing out the your breakfast bowl.



 Ingredients:

1/2 Cup/40g Rolled Oats
1 Cup of liquid, I used all milk
Pinch of Salt
1 Tsp Maple syrup or sweetener of choice
1/2-1 Tsp Lemon Juice
1/4-1/2 Tsp Lemon zest, see notes above
Big hand full of fresh Blueberries

White Chocolate mousse:

20g of white chocolate, or as much as you want
3-4 TBSP Greek yogurt

Method:

1. To make the mousse, melt the chocolate. Heat for 30 second blasts in the microwave, stirring in between till smooth. Let cool for a minute or two. Add the yogurt TBSP at a time, whipping after each addition. Taste each time, adding more yogurt till it reaches a strength you like and its lighter in colour. Chill till needed.
2. Bring milk to a boil, with almond milk I just heat till steam starts rolling off the top. Add the oats and salt and stir in, reducing the heat to meduim.
3. Once more of the liquid has absorbed add the zest, juice and sweetener. Taste and adjust if needed. Once it reaches a consistency your happy with, I kept it quite thick, transfer into a bowl, scoop on the mousse and scatter over the blueberries and a little extra zest.


No comments:

Post a Comment