Monday 15 September 2014

Orange Berry Overnight Oats Trifector

Orange goes with so many things. I've already done a Peach Orange and have other combinations on the back-burner. In the last month or two I have tried overnight oats featuring orange and the three main berries; Strawberries, Raspberries and Blueberries and decided to put them in one mega post.

 

Each follow the same basic recipe but I thought it would just be easier to write out each, so I can link all three separately to my recipe index.

Strawberry Orange Overnight Oats

I made this overnight oats for a morning I was at work, and so was only able to take one good photo, though it was fantastic lighting that day with brilliant sunshine, I was being stared at by my co-workers at the time. And there's only so many weird looks you can get before you drop your phone and grab a spoon. I only get fifteen minutes break anyway, so I was pressed for time.

But it is an excellent example of how easy overnight oats are to make, as well as take about for a quick breakfast in the mornings when your in a rush. All you need is a fridge at work or eat them straight out of a tupperware container on your way to school etc. I have had them at college before for lunch, but this was a day when I didn't have long before lunch and so they could last in my bag till I could eat them. Though I obmitted yogurt from said oats so there was nothing that could 'go off'.

You don't have to decorate your bowl, but as you can see from all three recipes I'm a fan of the slice of orange look, eating out the flesh as soon as the mini photoshoots are over. I always think a breakfast is more satisfying if it looks looks as beautiful as it tastes.


Ignore the slightly rusty looking spoon. I work in the cafe of a garden center. We're aren't exactly five star. And our industrial dishwasher likes to play up on a regular basis.

Ingredients:

1/2 Cup/40g Rolled Oats
1/2 Cup milk of choice
1/4 Cup/50g Yogurt of choice (Plain, vanilla etc. I used plain greek yogurt)
Pinch of salt
1 Orange

Big handful of Strawberries, and extra for decorating

Optional: 2 TBSP Flaxseed or 1 TBSP Chia Seeds

Method:

1. Zest the orange first. If you wish to have a slice for decoration like I did then only zest around either end and cut the slice from the middle before segmenting the orange. To see a tutorial on segmenting citrus from The Oatmeal Artist follow the link here.
2. Mix all the oat ingredients but the berries in a bowl/jug/mason jar. Chill overnight or for at least four hours. If there's lots of juice from the orange left in the fruit or on your plate/chopping board mix it in for extra orangey-ness.
3. Chop up 2/3 of the berries into bitesize chunks and fold in the oats. Serve topped with another handful of berries and the slice of orange.

Raspberry Orange Overnight Oats


I love having my overnight oats at home most of the time, because it means I can serve them up my special 'sundae' glass. That I got real cheap. It might not hold much, meaning I'm decorating and slurping out over-flowing oats from the corners at the same time. But it looks way better than a regular bowl. Plus if you've seen my first few overnight oat recipes on my instagram your know I started off using my mothers crystal tumblers to eat from. She wasn't too happy. So I had to take a mini shopping trip around my local homeware store to pick up some more interesting serving glasses.


Raspberry Orange Overnight Oats

This recipe, unlike the others, only uses the zest of the orange. I dismissed the use of the juice and flesh as raspberries are already very tart and thought that chunks of orange would be to harsh against the berries and make them taste rancid. For this same reason I decided to add in some maple syrup to off set any bitterness from the zest and also waited to add the berries till just before serving.


Ingredients:

1/2 Cup/40g Rolled Oats
1/2 Cup milk of choice
1/4 Cup/50g Yogurt of choice (Plain, vanilla etc. I used plain greek yogurt)
1 Tsp Maple syrup or sweetener of choice
Pinch of salt

Big handful of Raspberries

Optional: 2 TBSP Flaxseed or 1 TBSP Chia Seeds

Method:

1. Mix all ingredients but the berries in a bowl/jug/mason jar. Chill overnight or for at least four hours. 
3. Fold in the raspberries saving some for topping and serve. Scatter over extra berries and zest.



Blueberry Orange Overnight Oats



I know the traditional combination is lemon and blueberry, which I did do a spin on here, but I decided since both lemon and lime have been able to work so well with blueberries, I might as well see if oranges do too.


And they did.


Side note: Unlike in the recipes above, I do at some berries into the oats the night before, I didn't worry about the 'rancid' effect as blueberries, unlike strawberries and raspberries have a thicker, and so, a much more protective skin.

Ingredients:

1/2 Cup/40g Rolled Oats
1/2 Cup milk of choice
1/4 Cup/50g Yogurt of choice (Plain, vanilla etc. I used plain greek yogurt)
Pinch of salt

A big handful of Blueberries, save some for decorating

Optional: 2 TBSP Flaxseed or 1 TBSP Chia Seeds

Method:

1. Zest the orange first. If you wish to have a slice for decoration like I did then only zest around either end and cut the slice from the middle before segmenting the orange. To see a tutorial on segmenting citrus from The Oatmeal Artist follow the link here.
2. Mix all ingredients including the berries in a bowl/jug/mason jar. Chill overnight or for at least four hours. If there's lots of juice from the orange left in the fruit or on your plate/chopping board mix it in for extra orangey-ness.
3. Serve topped with another handful of berries and the slice of orange.



No comments:

Post a Comment