Sunday 21 September 2014

Sweet Potato Nut butter Swirl Baked Oatmeal

Have you ever tried a baked sweet potatoes hot from the oven slathered with nut butter and a hefty dash of cinnamon?


You should.


Its my latest obsession. I eat it nearly every saturday. I take it cold (Its still works. Trust.) to school most days in the week. Its heaven. In golden potato form. 

Sweet potatoes are peng (Slang for hot. Only time I would ever use it.) anyway, I mean beautiful colour, beautiful taste. The juices all carmelized and lushious. Great on the side of any main dish. But you add on a tablespoon or two of nut butter and spice, and it becomes dessert.

Now, I have only ever tried it with peanut, cashew and almond. The latter begin not as fantastic. But still fantastic. I mean its ooey gooey sticky butter coming out of sweet potato. How can that not be fantastic? But it lacked something. Don't know what.

Cashew is my favourite. Peanut taking close second.

So, inspired by The Oatmeal Artists Sweet Potato Pie baked oatmeal, I created this. Oaty, nutty, sweet potato nirvana.


Sweet Potato Nut Butter Swirl Baked Oatmeal

Choose your nut. Any will work. (I have yet to try this with peanut, but I just know it won't disappoint.) Crunchy or smooth. It doesn't matter. This oatmeal is super dense, and sticky, and gooey and... I'm running out of good descriptive words.

P.S Add raw nuts for extra crunch.


Ingredients:

1/2 Cup/45g Rolled Oats
1/4 Tsp Baking powder
Pinch of Salt
1/2 Tsp Cinnamon, less or more depending on taste
Pinch of nutmeg, leave it out if your not a fan
1 Tsp Maple syrup or sweetener of choice
1/3 Cup of Mashed/pureed Sweet potato
1/2 Cup/120ml Milk of choice

1-2 TBSP Nut butter of choice, I used smooth Cashew

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 350F/180C/Gas Mark 4.
2. Mix all dry until combined. Add in potato and syrup and mix. Add in the milk but by bit till you get the right consistency, you want the oats wet but not sloppy. I let it sit for a minute or two till let it thicken naturally then add more milk to bulk it up even more. Add in 1/2 TBSP of your nut butter and mix in. The mix will be dense and thick. Pour into prepared dish and swirl in the rest of the TBSP. Bake for 17-20 minutes or until golden.
3. Top with more nut butter and enjoy! (I had 2 TBSP at the start but because I had leftover potato too, it didn't stand a chance of lasting.)



No comments:

Post a Comment