Saturday 20 September 2014

Molten Mexican Hot Chocolate Baked Oatmeal

It took me ages to choose a name, playing with words like 'molten', 'mexican', 'lava' etc. Till I had to call it something on Instagram and settled.



It must be true that great minds alike because The Oatmeal Artist and I had the same idea. On monday I made this baked oatmeal, and thursday I went on to find that Lauren had done something quite similar. At least it means I'm just as creative. I just added a liquid chocolate center.



Add as much spice as you want. Adjust it to you. When it comes to the chocolate, its your choice; Dark or bittersweet, milk or semi-sweet. I would not use white. I very much doubt the flavour would meld well. I myself used bittersweet chocolate chips as I thought the darkness would contrast beautifully with the heat. If you want to be extra daring, use chili chocolate.

Molten Mexican Hot Chocolate Baked Oatmeal


Ingredients:

1/2 Cup/45g Rolled Oats
1/4 Tsp Baking powder
Pinch of Salt
1/4 Tsp Cinnamon
As much Cayenne pepper as you want

1/2 Ripe Avocado
2 TBSP Cocoa powder
1 Tsp Maple syrup or sweetner of choice
1/2 Cup/120ml Milk of choice

Handful of chocolate chips, or a few squares

Optional: 1 TBSP Flaxseed

Method:

1. Preheat the oven to 350F/180C/Gas Mark 4. Mix the first five ingredients and the flaxseed.
2. Mash the avocado till smooth and mix in the cocoa, syrup/sweetener and a few 2-3 TBSP of milk till a mousse like consistency forms. You could easily do this in a blender if you want a completely smooth consistency.
3. Fold the chocolate mixture into the oats and add some more milk till it comes together. You want a wet but not sloppy consistency. Pour half into a prepared dish. Put the chocolate into the center, nestling it down slightly and making sure none goes to near the sides. Cover over with the rest of the oat mixture. Bake for 15 minutes or until the oats are just set solid.
4. If you want invert onto a plate. I had mine with some sweetened yogurt, dusted with a mix of cocoa, cinnamon, clove and cayenne. (1 Tsp, 1/4 Tsp and a pinch of the two)


No comments:

Post a Comment